The Perils of Pseudo-Crushing

Mostly, I do very well in my single, widowed-woman life.  I keep busy with work, roller derby, taking care of my dogs and house, visiting family and friends, and the occasional travel, party, camping trip, concert, or music festival.  I still miss Ron, but it has shifted and is different than before, more tolerable and less sharp; more of a dull ache that is always there, just more pronounced at certain times, like arthritis just before a rain storm.  There is not much downtime in my life, but when there is, I general welcome it and rejoice in the space.

Still, I get lonely intermittently.  The top things that spur on some loneliness/feeling sorry for myself are:
1)      Sunday mornings – wish I had Ron to go to brunch or share breakfast and coffee on the porch
2)      Weddings, birthday parties, family gatherings – any big social event to which he previously would have accompanied me
3)      When it is cold and I want someone to cuddle with on the couch
4)      When I am injured or sick – I want someone to be concerned for me and to take care of me
5)      When someone or something has me super upset (mad, frustrated, sad) – I want Ron to tell me I am OK and it will be alright

I try to self-soothe.  I try to be a grown-up.  I have found I take pretty good care of myself – better than I ever guessed I would have.  I still talk to Ron, especially in bed at night.  It is one of my favorite times – falling asleep – because it is here I feel the most connected to him.  I also still write him, though much less frequently and less desperately than before.  Every now and then when I am communicating with him, I am struck by a thought or a feeling that is so clearly not my own that I am sure it must be him.  But this is a rare occurrence. 

Mostly, I remain a girl in the land of the living, in love with a dude who resides where the dead go.  However, I don’t know how to say this: the inkling that I may find myself in a relationship with another living human being has crossed my mind.  Even though I know it is highly likely that I will love again.  Even though I know Ron would ultimately want me to be happy.  Even though I know most folks would support me and want this for me.  Even with all of that, I still feel like a jerk.  I have always been loyal.  Naively, I wanted to believe that what I had with Ron was enough to fill the rest of my life and I would never have affection for anyone else.

But carrying on a relationship with someone who cannot interact with you (save those few, rare “maybe it’s him (but maybe it’s just me) occurrences) is really hard.  I am not a statue.  I am not indestructible.  I am not made of stone or metal.  I am a person.  I have a deeply feeling heart.  I have a pulse.  I have an imagination.  Not being able to actually have an exchange in the land of the living leaves me lonely.

So, I pick people with whom it would never work out and then develop pseudo-crushes on them.  Pseudo because they are not real.  A friend declared one an infauxuation, which is the perfect term.  They are crushes based on little actual significance or merit.  They are crushes on people I most likely couldn’t stand if I ever had an actual, real-life interaction with them.  They are crushes on people from far away, in relationships, or who even don’t know I exist.  For the most part, no one knows about them.  And I am sure it is healthy, in a way, this experimenting with feeling something in my heart for someone else with a still-beating heart.  This is normal.  I am 34.  Statistically, I am going to love again.  Realistically, I am going to be in a relationship again . . . with someone who has the confidence to leave room for how I feel about Ron, of course.  But, for now, an infauxuation allows space for trying the feeling on and my selections have been made (on a subconscious level) for people with whom there is zero chance of it working out, thus I can feel safe pseudo-crushing. 

What bothers me the second most about these infauxuations (second to the fact that I feel them at all and cannot just be content becoming a widow-nun-derby-girl or something) is what they become for me in my head.  As I play out scenarios and think about the pseudo-crushees, I realize what I want and need most is to be liked/loved by someone else.  And then I get mad.  Really pissed.  Because that is just ridiculous.  I want to be content with liking/loving myself.  That I want someone else to tell me I am hilarious, brilliant, insightful, awesome, pretty enough, kind enough, creative, whatever – that just blows me away.  I mean, I thought I was past all this.  I have been thoroughly liked and loved.  I have been told by the human who mattered most to me that I was all of those things.  Why should I need anyone else to tell me this?  I reread Ron’s amazing little love notes to me and I am satiated while I read them.  And then I want more.  I want new notes, from Ron . . . or someone else.  (Again, I feel criminal saying I want notes from someone else.  Ouch.) 

So, this is my problem.  This is what bothers me.  Why does it take someone else?  Aren’t I enough for me?  And I wonder from anyone reading – are you/would you be enough for you?  If you answer yes quickly, I challenge you to look deep within.  If the answer is still yes, tell me why/how you got there.    

Comments

  1. I so love you and this post, Heather! I don't know that I am there. Sometimes I feel I love myself. Sometimes it is a real struggle. But I feel like I am getting there... doing better at loving all the different parts of me. For me it has been this community of people I get together with who let me...encourage me to show all my "ugly" scary and little parts and then love me for it. And it has been my therapist who does the same for me. And it has been poetry and music and finding out who I am and who I am not.

    Forgive me if I sound like a know it all jerk. I am coming off of a week spent with these great friends of mine and feeling a little high on myself and them.

    I think we are on similar paths you and me and you are one of my heroes.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, luv, this is so well written. You have captured well my feelings, although it seems silly in a "mature" person like myself, I suppose.
    I always think of the pseudos as little fantasies that make me smile and laugh at myself. Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment