Truck Stop Love (no, not talking about the band)


Every thought, every move, every moment . . . it is all about him.  I find ways to incorporate him into everything I do.  I still write to him daily.  I visit his friends.  I create art about him.  I talk to him, mostly in my head, but sometimes aloud, as I did this past weekend on my otherwise lonely drive home from his college town in Ohio.  I had a whole conversation with a person who is not alive.  And he made me laugh so hard that my tears were temporarily stopped. 

It is exhausting, though.  This grief.  This energy.  This anger at the injustice of it all.  This love I maintain in this seemingly one-sided relationship.  I find myself so very tired.  Add in the energy I lose during the week at my job and I am one very overwhelmed person.  I find myself with little time, patience, or stamina to talk to my friends or family.  I usually answer when the phone rings, because that seems like it will take less energy than having to listen to a message and call them back.  But I know I am not myself on the phone.  I feel badly about that.

I am reading.  Lots.  I am learning.  Lots.  I am still doing grief counseling and therapy.  I will start attending a support group this week for partner loss.  I am trying to correspond with people who write me or email me instead of calling (honestly, that is easier than talking in a lot of ways), but . . . like everything else, I am so busy that my responses are quite delayed.  There are a lot of moments when I feel like I am in over my head, having bitten off far more than I can chew in trying to work and maintain the house and care for the dogs and maintain social relationships and on top of all that normal day-to-day stuff (which I struggled to do even before cancer took Ron from me) I am grieving so hard. 

Have I mentioned I am exhausted?

I want to blog more, but simply have not had the time.  Tonight, I told myself I am allowed.  I am allowed to just write a disjointed blog post and not reread it into the wee hours.  I am allowed to occasionally throw some shit up here.  Because I need to.  I need to say his name.  I need to talk about him.  I need to share memories.  I need to sometimes put it all out there. 

The first night I was alone in the house after Ron died, I used his toothbrush.  I cannot explain this behavior, which sounds a bit disgusting to the hygienic side of me.  I used his toothbrush and I have not stopped using it.  Four and a half months later and I am still using it.  I don’t think it is time to switch yet.  The bristles are still holding strong.  Yet I have become acutely aware that I will have to move on to another one at some point.  And I don’t want to.  The way I keep searching for him in everything, this is just one more thing.  Another way to have him be a part of my daily rituals. 

Tonight, I threw away some of his condiments in the fridge.  I would never have used them.  Ever.  Ranch dressing.  Chocolate and strawberry ice cream toppings.  I kept them because they were his.  I am reading Joan Didion’s The Year of Magical Thinking and I realize that keeping them is magical thinking.  At first, I told myself I was keeping them in case a house guest came over and wanted them for some really random reason (note: this would require me to keep food on hand for said houseguest, unless they just wanted to eat condiments straight out of the bottle).  What I was really doing was keeping them because . . . well, what if Ron came back and wanted them?  What if he walked through the door and was like, “Heather, where is my hot cocoa?  Where is my ranch?  Where is my shrimp cocktail sauce?  Where is my frappuccino mix?”  I slowly allow myself to get rid of these things, on trash night, but only after the labels have expired.  Because even if he did come in, I wouldn’t want him to eat expired stuff.  So this makes sense, right?

Sometimes I use his deodorant.  Old Spice.  Sometimes I spray the dogs’ collars or the couch cushions or even just the air with the terrible Polo Sport he used to keep in his car and used to mask cigarette odor when he would first drive down here.  Even though it was and is terrible, I loved it because it was his.  The smell mingled with all the others and became associated with him.  Now, I bury my head in the sweaters and shirts he had the longest, or inside the brim of a cap, searching for a lingering trace of his body smell.  I have so much fear that I will forget what he smelled like.  Not the cigarettes or cologne or deodorant or detergent . . . just him.  His skin.  His hair.  Smell is a very hard thing to preserve.  Everything in our household eventually blends together and starts to smell the same.  Mine and his together make a new smell.  Losing his original scent, the scent that could only be made by his body, feels like losing a part of him.

For the first four months after he was gone, I smoked.  Not all the time and not very much and not even regular cigarettes, but pretty much every day.  Cloves.  It started because he left a pack in the car and I felt a need to finish them off.  Ron would have wanted it.  We used to share one on the drives into the hospital.  He would want me to smoke that pack in his honor.  And then I bought another pack.  And another.  Because why not?  I could smoke every day of my life and still not have smoked all the cigarettes Ron wanted to be able to smoke.  But, when the weather became colder and I was smoking with the windows almost all the way up on the way to work, I realized I need to give this habit up or face owning a smoker’s car.  It has been two weeks now and I am missing it so much.  Not because I was addicted or anything like that.  Just because I liked to do it.  (Holy crap!  Rereading that, I realize it was the same line of logic he used to give me about why he wouldn’t quit.  “I’m not addicted.  I just like it.”)  It was a way to be connected to Ron.  I sometimes felt like I was channeling him when I would be smoking and driving and listening to music from his iPod.  I think I have given it up . . . but maybe not.



As I drop weight, more slowly now than at first, I need a belt with every pair of pants I own (and I am too cheap to run out and buy new pants when I will likely just gain it back at some point).  Naturally, I started using one of his belts.  I am so grateful to his siblings for talking me into keeping a few that day when I was giving away everything for no apparent reason.  I usually wear this cotton belt of his.  On days when the air is damp, I can sometimes smell Petticoat Junction (AKA “The Coat” in Ron speak) wafting from the belt.

Petticoat is the truck stop restaurant where Ron was working part time when we started dating.  The Coat did not last long into our relationship, because he could only work there on nights and weekends since he was also working full time doing IT support during the regular work week.  Nights and weekends was when we could talk to and/or see each other.  When we both wanted to spend more time together than he wanted to spend earning a pay check at a beloved Alma greasy spoon, Ron simply stopped showing up there.  It was not the most graceful exit, but I seem to recall that he felt it would be the least confrontational . . . or something like that.  Based on experiences we had with other Coat employees and his employers over the last year or so, I believe he was forgiven.

The belt smelling like The Coat triggered a strong memory for me in July when I first started wearing it.  Generally, when he had to work there on a Friday, I would drive up to Alma after getting out of my work and spend time with my folks until he had a chance to get out of his.  He liked to change out of the jeans and black t-shirt he always wore and get showered so that I would not smell Line Cook Ron. 

One particular Friday, I could not stand to wait.  We were texting each other during my drive up.  I was speeding, hurtling toward him as fast as I could.  I was feeling extra spontaneous and impulsive.  I told him I was taking exit 127 off U.S. 127 and, if he allowed it, would turn directly east and stop at The Coat to say a quick hello.  Ron was mildly nervous, not wanting me to see him all greasy and smelly and sweaty.  But, he admitted he could take a quick break and would like to see me, too.

I pulled around the back, as he instructed.  It was misting outside.  The lot was nothing but mud with semi-trucks and trailers parked all over.  Ron came out the backdoor of the restaurant and strode across the lot toward my Subaru.  Black t-shirt.  Stained jeans.  Apron.  Moss green baseball cap with a white skull on it.  Black work shoes.  That face.  That perfect, round, ruddy-cheeked, glistening, hard-working face.  Those eyes, searching me out with love and mischief and newly-dating butterflies-in-the-tummy anxiety behind them.  He tossed a cigarette aside as he made his way over, blowing the smoke out the side of his mouth before he reached me.  I was out of the car and running to him.  We wrapped each other in the biggest bear hug and were kissing each other, just these funny smacks on the lips, over and over. 

I asked if I could let the dogs run around.  Ron said he didn’t see why not, if I trusted them enough.  He was still learning that they are pretty good dogs who come back when they are called.  They scrambled through mud puddles, around the trucks, sniffing the brush at the edge of the lot.  Ron and I held each other and watched them, still stealing kisses (longer ones now) and hugs from one another, taking time to sneak glances and long stares at each other’s eyes.  I was (still am) so so so in love with this boy.  There was the tangible smell of Coat grease and cigarettes and sweat coming off him, visible as steam because it was so cold and rainy out.  My stomach was doing flip flops.  My insides were completely warm and tingly mush.  My heart was racing.  My head felt elated.  I could have floated away.  Ron Clark.  Completely unexpected in my life at that time.  Completely attractive, even when covered in truck stop grease.  Completely the love of my life.  I admit that I wanted him so bad - right there, right then.  I didn’t think I would be able to wait for him to get out of work.  I wanted to tell him to run away with me so we could just be together after a long work week of being apart. 

But, we said our goodbyes.  Slowly parted ways.  I piled my muddy dogs back in my new car, cringing when I saw how messy they were making it and even more so when I thought about how mad my dad would be when I arrived at my parents’ home with them looking that way.  The feeling I had for Ron was so intense.  Even though we only had to wait a few more hours to see each other, Ron kept texting throughout the night.  In love. 

So now I wear his belt most days . . . and some days I can smell the love.  It lives there, in the belt.  It is older now and faded, but right alongside the smell of the fry grease, there is Ron and there is that moment . . . hugging in a parking lot of mud and trucks . . . not aware of how precious little time we would have . . . just frozen and captivated by having found each other . . .  

Comments