Remembering Ron Clark


This is one of the harder posts I have had to write.  It is not hard in terms of content.  I have known what I wanted to include for many weeks now.  It is just hard in terms of actually doing it.  Feels like there is some finality to it.  Forces me to embrace what is and let go of what is not, at least for a few moments.  But, the time has come.  I feel like I need to get this one out there, because there are more posts, ideas brewing, things happening, stuff waiting in the wings . . . I just had to do this one before I get to all that other stuff.
  
Ron deserves the greatest and best tributes.  This does not even begin to cover what all is owed to him, but for now, it will have to do.  It has been on my mind for nearly three months to offer up these pieces of his celebration of life service for those who wanted to be there, but were not able to attend (or for those who were there and want to remember again).

First off, for anyone who has not already had a chance to read it, Ron’s obituary ran in the Kalamazoo Gazette and the Alma Morning Sun.  If you'd like, you can leave comments for others to read at Legacy.com.

Ron’s celebration of life service took place at the Central Michigan Youth For Christ on 5/13/12.  One of Ron’s friends from high school, Bryce Wickes, officiated, along with his father, Brian Wickes, who worked in the same building as Ron for several years.  My friend, Wes Wickes, flawlessly ran audio and visual.  He and several other YFC staff stayed up through the night to help clean up from the Alma High School prom, which was held there the night before, to prepare for Ron’s service.  Ron’s family and I could not be more grateful to the YFC for offering the space to have this celebration and for all of their hard work in preparing and running such a smooth service.  I think Ron would have been pleased.  The YFC held a very special place in his heart and was one of the shaping influences that helped him become the man I love.  Ron asked that any financial contributions in his memory be made to the YFC.  YFC has been kind enough to create a special donation category to continue honoring Ron for years to come.  If you are interested in donating, please send your gift to the Central Michigan YFC (P.O. Box 757, Alma, MI 48801) and specify that it is for the Ron Clark Trip Scholarship Fund.  Or, you can donate online.  Ron’s Trip Scholarship Fund will allow for students who are otherwise lacking financial means to go on trips with the YFC.  Ron was fortunate enough during his years with YFC to go on several out of state missions.  He recognized that these adventures would not have been possible without the YFC funding his travels.  He wanted others to have the same opportunities he did and I know he would be beyond honored to have a fund in his name that allows this important work to continue.  The gratitude I feel toward YFC for all the care they took in working with me and Ron’s family in the week following his death cannot adequately be expressed in words.  I plan to continue giving in Ron’s name each year as a way to express my thanks and ensure that all the good this organization did for Ron continues to be passed along to others.

My brother and I created a bookmark to remember Ron with.  These were passed out at the celebration of life service.  For anyone who was not able to attend who would like one, just send me your address and I will get it to you.  You can email me (heatherbelle79@yahoo.com) or write me (8603 N. 46th Street, Augusta, MI 49012) or message me on Facebook.  I want to make sure that everyone who wants one has a little something of Ron to remember him by. 


Ron had started a playlist of songs he wanted to have at his celebration service.  I didn’t know he had even got around to working on this, but after he passed, I found a playlist in his iTunes simply named “death list.”  I knew right away from looking at the songs that this was it.  I think it was a work in progress, but we went with what he had so far and incorporated the songs into the service.  I just thought I would include his list here, for anyone wanting to replicate it just to get a sense of what Ron was thinking of in those final weeks:
1)      Early In the Morning – Peter, Paul & Mary
2)      Narcolepsy – Ben Folds Five
3)      The Wood Song – Indigo Girls
4)      What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
5)      If I Ever Leave This World Alive – Flogging Molly
6)      Struttin’ With Some Barbecue – The Marsalis Family

Ron’s brother, Doug, used the Flogging Molly pick in a video he made using pictures taken throughout Ron’s lifetime.  We’d hoped I’d be able to include it here, but he’s run into some issues with having YouTube accept the audio.  I also got some warnings about the audio content in the video I uploaded, but so far it seems to be working.  I will post the link and we will see how long it keeps playing.  Please let me know if you try this and it tells you the video is no longer available.  Doug will get his to me once he gets it working and I promise to post it on here.  Ideally, we would have had one long video of Ron during all the different phases in his life, but working on this a couple hours apart with only a few days to do it proved to be challenging.  So Doug and I created separate videos.  For me, this was an epic project that involved a lot of laughter and tears.  I am certain the same is true for Doug.  I cannot watch the videos without experiencing both.  I am also overcome with love each and every time I watch Ron flash across my screen in these pictures, remembering the places we visited, moments we shared, the people who loved him, and our love for each other.  In my video, I used three of Ron’s death list songs and two of my own picks . . . a liberty I think he would allow.  Please give yourself some time and space to laugh and cry if you are going to watch. 



The service included a large chunk of time that was left open just for folks to share memories or express their love for Ron.  Many family and friends, both his and mine, offered insight at what a tremendous human Ron was.  It was clear to see that Ron touched lives wherever he went and always gave people something to laugh about.  Most people spoke without anything prepared.  My brother and I were not so sure we would be able to think on our feet when our emotions were so high, so we prepared something to read ahead of time.


My brother, Dustin, is a writer.  He started toying with this piece when we worked on Ron’s obituary, in which, we said Ron was a superhero.  In his high school years, Ron played the role of a character at YFC known as Captain Ron.  The tribute Dustin paid Ron, who he thought of as a brother and close friend, is just wonderful.  His inclusion of Ron’s many talents and strengths as super powers makes me laugh and cry at the same time.  I only wish you could hear Dustin read it, for he is a talented reader, too.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 

Ronald A. Clark, or sometimes known as Captain Ron, or Turtle Man, avenger of musical justice, wielder of a vast array of culinary arts, and all-around superhero of nice-guyness, ended his battle with cancer earlier this week, far surpassing all mortals’ expectations. He passed away next to his loyal and loving sidekick, Heather Hell’s Bells Hoffman and his hallowed hound-daughters Ru-Dog and Sophie Neuroses. Together they spent the last two years in their fortress of awesome-itude, wringing every ounce of joy out of life.
            Captain Ron’s infamous saga on the planet earth found him gracing the towns of Ashland, Pittsburgh, Kalamazoo, and, of course, his hometown of Alma where he mastered his mighty chuckle-rays that could melt the coldest hearts into a pile of quivering laughter. He hurled thank-you-arangs with the precision of powerful politeness that could make even the dreariest McDonald’s cashier love him. And then he’d vanish, speeding down the streets in his rusted-out Ron-mobiles, his Toyota or cherry red Festiva, to find the next dark heart to brighten. Some say he was just a man; others claimed him as a saint; but it is us here that knew the real him, Ronald A. Clark, superhero.
            Kryptonite couldn’t touch Ron, but he did have his vulnerabilities: bad poetry, dental hygiene, and slugs. Far more extensive were Ron’s sources of power. He generated them from the warmth of the earth’s yellow sun, that and Lick-a-maids, and the History Channel, and jazz and coffee and cigarettes. His utility belt was jam-packed full of accessories. He carried a trombone on which he played tunes that would make evil-doers spontaneously burst into dance. He came equipped with an array of gadgetry of the most futuristic technologies, and his nimble fingers could make short work of solving any and all of man’s greatest quandaries. In fact, his mind itself was a formidable adversary. In his super-human mass of gray matter he stored the answer to every trivia question ever asked. Alec Trebec once responded to a description of Ron’s knowledge, “What is the answer to everything?” But Ron was also modest. He turned down repeated requests to make a super-celebrity appearance on Jeopardy, saying he wanted to give everyone else their fair chance. And he was the first one to tell you when he didn’t know something. Though, I suspect, he always knew, and his humble shrugs were simply a ruse to make us mortals all feel a little better about our meager minds.
            I was lucky enough to encounter Ron for two stages in his life. In his teenage years, Ron patrolled the halls of high school, protecting the underdogs, all of us nerds and punks and geeks, with his supersonic-laughter and bionic-friendship. Then Ron sailed onward, set on sharing his powers with the world, with young campers in eastern Michigan, teaching cooks and musicians throughout the Midwest how to appreciate life, and even a stint in Costa Rica, where he flew, his cape ruffling over his shoulders, to seek out the least fortunate. And then back to Michigan, where Ron used his powers to push back the clouds, and let the sun warm away a dismal February and spur on the earliest summer in dreary Kalamazoo’s history.
            Everyone that knew Ron loved him. Everyone who witnessed his powers swooned. We were all charmed, uplifted, all adoring fanboys and girls of this hero we all cheered for. Ron let me call him a friend, a brother, and that was my greatest honor. And I’m as much in disbelief as everyone else to see him go. How can we understand when the best hero falls, when his epic saga ends? But, like all the best superheroes, the story never really ends. The super universe resets, and it does for Ron, as he lives on in the new comic book panels of our memories, where he will forever be our hero.

I didn’t know if I would be able to even speak at Ron’s celebration, let alone say anything about him.  But I really wanted to.  So, in the middle of the night, still slightly intoxicated from a wonderful party Ron’s former roommate and one of his all-time best friends, Mitch, had thrown in his honor, I wrote something.  And the next day, in front of a room full of people who love Ron, I read it, my voice barely cracking.  As mentioned in previous posts, I don’t grieve very well publicly and that whole week between Ron’s death and the service was busy for me.  I don’t think I really felt the impact of his passing until I returned to our empty home with no urgent projects to demand my time.  Then I began to really feel.  Anyway, I am closing this post by including the words I shared about Ron. 

Ron Clark was the most important human ever to live...to me.  He changed my entire life.  I saw him...saw his face...saw his kind eyes...saw his spirit reaching out to me across a crowded Rubbles.  I saw our entire life sprawling out before us...an actual lifetime, not this tiny slice we were actually dealt.  I fell in love so hard, even when I was not prepared to. 
Not living in the same town, all we had were phone calls.  We spent HOURS on the phone every day.  When you cannot actually see someone face to face to forge a new relationship, everything is based on these conversations.  I learned Ron through his words, through our talks, through this intense intimacy that was somehow achieved telephonically.  Every weekend of our long distance relationship was packed with adventure and ooey-gooey ridiculous mush that most people could barely stand to be around without barfing.
Ron moved in with me and we thought we would have the sweet life.  But even then we knew he was not well and too soon after he got there, we found out just how unwell he was. 
Cancer did not dampen Ron’s will to live.  He defied the odds, laughed in the face of the disease process, and outlived every single medical professional’s prognosis.  He was a champion and I was by his side every step of the way, fighting the good fight and trying to make the most out of each day.  In between me working and him attending countless medical appointments, we tried to squeeze in vacations and visits and simple little things, like a well-cooked meal or a dog walk.  I am sure that Ron did not let me know the full extent of his suffering, just as I know how much he kept the brightest side forward for friends and family.  He never wanted people to worry about him.  He never wanted to cause anyone sadness...and yet, how could any of us not be sad in losing someone like Ron?  It is a sign that he was loved.
Ron and I shared just over three years together, half of it pre-diagnosis and half of it post-diagnosis.  Of course, we lived a much freer and happier life before we knew he was dying.  And yet I learned so much about him...any myself...in the course of caring for him.  I had the honor of having Ron allow me to help him with the most basic and intimate tasks.  I saw him at his weakest, saddest, most frightened moments.  I saw the side of him that he did not want anyone else to see and I know that it was a special privilege that he permitted me to be a part of his dying...and living...process.  For that, Ron, I must thank you.  What a gift, to be with someone when they are that vulnerable.  You trusted me and I hope I did not let you down.
I left work to take care of Ron during the last three months of his life.  I treasure those months so much.  I wish I could say they allowed us time to have all the conversations I imagined in my head...I had so much I wanted to convey to Ron.  But, instead we planned a wedding...and a huge birthday party...and yes, we even planned for this day, a little.  We tried to squeeze in mini-adventures, going out to eat, visiting with friends, and even a trip to the zoo, for as long as he felt up to it.  And at the end of the day, rather than having those big conversations, Ron mainly preferred to fall asleep watching something and to save those talks for a later time.  I wish I could have said all that was on my heart, but I have to think he knew what was there, or at least hope that he does now.  Let me just say to anyone else who has those thoughts of ‘oh, I wish I had said or did this last time’ - trust me, you never say or do all you want to, even when you have three months carved out to do it.
Ron stayed himself right up until the morning he passed away.  The weekend before he went, we took him on a long dog walk in Battle Creek and he hung out with me outside while I worked on his vegetable garden beds, preparing them for summer.  He was not feeling quite up to snuff the day before he died and our hospice nurse came to the house and let him know that he was likely nearing the end and his body was slowing down after such a long fight.  She said he probably had days or maybe weeks left.  I was crying and after I ushered her out of the house, Ron said, “Don’t be sad.  Don’t worry about it.  They have all been wrong 100% of the time before and they are wrong now.  I’m not going anywhere.”  He proceeded to eat an impressive amount of food.  He was planning to see the Avengers movie with his brother the next day.  He went to sleep and didn’t wake up.  He did not suffer and it was not dragged out.  He went on his own terms.  He went with dignity.
People who know me know I have struggled a time or two with faith.  How can there be a God or a higher power if someone like sweet, kind Ron dies so soon, from a debilitating illness, while other people, people who sometimes do vile things, get to live out long, full, rounded lives?  Still, no matter me questioning the order of the universe, I like to imagine Ron in heaven.  I wonder if he has found where they keep the smoke filled bars where he can rack pool balls, belt out some karaoke, and meet the most famous jazz musicians ever to have lived.  I wonder if he found his Grandma Pockets yet.  It gives me comfort to imagine that he has some kind of fluffy cloud perch from which he can look down and watch over me.
It gives me even more comfort to feel that he is a part of everything...that he is in the morning sunrise, the bursting forth of spring flowers, the unfurling of fern fronds, the fireflies flash in the summer heat, the changing colors on my old maple tree.  And I take Ron with me...he urges me to go forth and be a better person and live with more compassion and gentleness in my life.
Ron Clark really was the most important human to ever live...for me.  He changed me.  My family and friends have been talking about this since I met him...how I became lighter and happier and more loving.  My cousin Michelle pointed out yesterday that it is because Ron showed me what true love is.  True love, I thought, was cheesy.  But, she is right, Ron showed me.  He loved all of me.  He loved the best and the worst parts of me.  He loved and forgave every perceived flaw.  I have never been able to be so open with someone in my life.  In loving me, he taught me to love.
So, now he is gone, and I miss him like crazy and there are not even words enough for me to express what he really meant to me.  He meant everything.  I can’t say enough nice things about him.  Nothing I say would ever be adequate.  Instead, I leave you with this:
Top Ten Things I Love About Ron Clark:
1)      He was nice to EVERYONE, everywhere he went, all the time.
2)      He loved to learn and wanted to know everything about everything, making him the king of trivia and able to answer most questions I had on a daily basis.  And, if he didn’t know the answer, he admitted it.
3)      He apologized when he thought he did something wrong and owned his mistakes, but did not hang onto guilt.  And, he stood his ground if he knew he was not in the wrong – he wasn’t a doormat.
4)      He forgave.  Everyone.  For everything.
5)      He laughed.  Often.  Fully.  With his whole body.
6)      He loved to make other people laugh and was expert at this.  He never ceased to be full of humor.
7)      He was talented in so many ways – chef, musician, welder, computer technician, blogger – he could have done anything he wanted to and been successful because whatever he did, his heart was always in it 100%.
8)      He loved fully and was able to receive love fully.
9)      He was giving, of himself and anything he had – he took pleasure in sharing.
10)  He never gave up.  Never.  Not even in the face of death.
Wow, I really should have made this a Top 20 list or a Top 50 list or even a Top 100 list.  But even then I would still have things to say, there is so much I love about Ron.  I have the rest of my life to say them.  I will go on telling the story of Ron Clark and trying to live a little bit more by his example. 
Ron, I love you and I will never stop.  I miss you and I am sorry this had to happen.  Peace be with you now...there is no more cancer...no more pain...no more fight.  I hope that wherever you are, there is just love...all encompassing and surrounding, because you deserve that.

Comments