All Ramped Up

Proof that there are still wonderful people left in the world, we had an encounter with lovely folks from VanDam & Krusinga Building and Restoration.  Our hospice nurse, Pam, is friends with Dan, who I believe owns the company (if I am following things correctly).  She called Dan last Friday and talked to him about the possibility of having a ramp built so that I can get Ron’s wheelchair more easily from the house out to the car for his twice weekly hospital appointments.  This would also make it easier, and thereby more likely, for us to go on fun outings, which, in turn, could hopefully help Ron to feel less trapped. 

I had talked to our hospice social worker about the possibility of getting assistance for a ramp through various community agencies, but I was told that it is very hard to get assistance with ramps.  Later, she told me that I could apply for assistance from a local agency I had suggested to her, but she said it would take at least a month for my application to be reviewed, and then maybe longer to actually obtain the ramp.  Ron and I don’t really feel like we have months to wait around for a ramp, since we need one now and pretty regularly and for some pretty important care.  I told Pam about the situation and she said she had some ideas and not to worry. 

When Pam initially talked to Dan, she was just requesting labor and expertise and was offering to cover the materials herself.  She is awesome like that, and we could have kicked in, too.  But, we didn’t need to.  Dan heard a bit about our story (within the limits of Pam’s confidentiality for us, of course) and said he would be glad to help out, right away, with no need for reimbursement.  That was Friday.  Today is Monday. 

The ramp went up today without a hitch.  It goes out flush with the door threshold, so there won’t be too much of a bump when transitioning from the house.



It goes all the way out, past my little hill, to take us straight to the parking area.



John and Nate, the two employees Dan sent us to get the job done, were friendly and kind and wonderful to have working around the house.  I can say that if they are any representation of the rest of Dan’s staff (and I am guessing they are), I would have no hesitation contacting VanDam & Krusinga for any future projects I may have.



It’s a straight shot up to the house.



All I gotta do is wheel him down and get him in the car.  Easy, peasy, 1-2-3sie.

  

After all the hard days and bad news and frustrating personalities Ron and I have encountered during this journey, it is just incredible to have someone give us hope.  I cannot begin to explain how much our burden is lifted when people reach out.  We are fortunate to have an awesome nurse in Pam, who looks out for us no matter what.  And we are also fortunate that there are good, local companies who come forward when they hear of someone in need and offer the help with no reservation.

Today has left me inspired, more hopeful, and less stressed.  There are still other battles to tackle.  There is still the sadness of Ron’s illness and how he has been feeling about it lately.  There are, and will always be, other stressors and annoyances.  But, right in this moment, all I feel is gratitude that such a big hurdle was overcome today.

Comments